Friday, November 2, 2012

Post- Halloween Post

And so it begins.

 The seasons of ridiculously priced joy for children, the overload of crafts, food, and decorations. No one is immune, including myself. It's especially worse since Pinterest is around. At least now I don't have to pay money to find ideas to fulfill my holiday perfectionism.

Every holiday I have this ridiculous idea that I need to craft all the things! Cook all the things! Decorate with all the things! Of course, I could go out and buy all of this stuff pre-made. However, it would cost more money, I wouldn't have a gold star on my achievement chart (in my head), and I could possibly go through a holiday while keeping sane. We can't have that, now can we?

Growing up, every get together was what I can only describe as magical, so I feel the need to pass the magic on to my kids, family, and friends. So, ladies and gentlemen, here's my Halloween wrap-up.

In September, it was my Mom's birthday. I thought, "Hey! I'll craft her something! She'll LOVE that. It worked when I was 5, it still should when I'm 26, right?" SO I ended up making a pumpkin made out of cloth. Yes, my poor mother got a cloth pumpkin for her birthday. It wasn't even well done! I need to make it up to her. Anyways, here's the picture. I would link the instructions, but I've forgotten where I found them, so I'm sorry ahead of time.

You can also use a cinnamon stick for the stem.



Josh was gone to Louisiana for three weeks to go to a school for the military. He was promoted to Sergeant over the Summer, so this was required. While he was gone, I had to find something to do to keep us all from going crazy. I decided we must have a Pre-Halloween weekend. I borrowed some movies from my sister ( I had a few in mind, but there were some I had forgotten about until I read Krystal's recommended watching list), went to the store to get some necessary items, then came home and executed it all.

The kids and I spent all day making Halloween decorations...
Trash bag spider...

I take absolutely NO credit for the idea of this. I had an awesome neighbor a few years ago who shared this with me.

To make You'll need:
9 black trash bags (preferably the ones with the drawstrings. You'll love me for adding that)
Red plastic cups
Neswpaper (or something else to stuff the bag with)
Black electrical tape
(This is not necessary,  but I suggest bags of beans or something heavy to stuff in with the newspaper to keep the sucker from blowing away. No one wants to see a crazy lady, in a fuzzy pink robe chasing a huge spider across her yard like my neighbors hadf to.)

Begin by stuffing one trash bag full of newspaper. Pull the drawstring shut and that will be your spider hiney.
Use the tape to section off a head. Now you should have the base of your spider.
Cut 8 tiny slits in the sides of the body. Take the 8 extra bags and tie two knots, equal lengths apart, down the bags length-wise, and stuff the drawstring end into the slits on the body. Use more tape to ensure they are attached securely. These are your legs!
Take the red plastic cups and cut the bottoms off  and attach with tape to the head. Eyes! You have eyes now!
Cut the remaining piece of the cup into two equal triangles and attach to the abdomen of the spider for it's "markings".
For teeth, cut two small triangles out of the same cup and attach under the eyes!
There ya go! Spider!




 This craft was simple (other than burning the crap out of myself and having to hold the snakes down while the glue dried). I just got a wreath  and 4 snakes from the dollar store (as  well as the cute doormat directly below.) I used hot glue to attach the snakes, but I'm sure there are better ways of doing it. Then I attached twine and hung it up. I think it was worth the finger burns.

  This one is just bats cut out of poster board and attached to the wall. Pretty simple.


While we were creating, we watched our movies and talked about spooks. I decided that since Josh was gone, I'd try my hand at grilling. I can cook some pretty good stuff, but I have NEVER cooked a good burger. Not to mention, I have NEVER grilled. It took me awhile to get the charcoal lit (and to stay lit). But, once I did, I regretted it! I used half of a container of lighter fluid and nearly singed my eyebrows off. My burgers weren't holding together and they were trying to fall through the bbq slits. Did you know you could actually catch a burger on fire? I mean, I assume it's common knowledge, but I had never seen it happen until that day. I yelled at Isaiah to get me the water bottle to spray the fire down, and I may have cried a little.
Surprisingly, they actually turned out to be yummy! Who knew?!
After dinner, I lit the firepit and we made s'mores and the kids had a leaf fight. It turned out to be a pretty awesome weekend!

Now for the food....
I volunteer with a Cub Scout pack and being the overachieving, control freak that I am, I asked to do the food for our Pack Party.
Cupcakes, orange icing, chocolate icing web, Hershey's kisses. That's all it took and they turned out super cute.

 Worms....  We had some adults who didn't even want to eat these. Yes, these are edible worms and they actually tasted awesome.
Recipe:
Ingredients:
100 flexible plastic straws
(The straws with a bendable neck make the most realistic worms by adding ridges to the worm. Place bendable necks of straws at the bottom of the container).
an empty, cleaned

1-quart milk or orange juice carton to hold straws.
(The straws will fill up to the height of the container, the taller the better.)
1 package (6 ounces) raspberry or grape flavor gelatin
3 envelopes unflavored gelatin
3 cups boiling water
3/4 cup whipping cream
12 to 15 drops green food coloring
waxed paper
Instructions:
1. Combine gelatins in a bowl and add boiling water; stir until gelatins completely dissolve. Chill until lukewarm, about 20 min.
2. Meanwhile, gently pull straws to extend to full length; place in tall container. Wrap together with a loose rubber band to hold straws together.
3. Blend cream and food coloring with the lukewarm gelatin mixture. Carefully pour into container, filling straws.
4. Chill until gelatin is firm, at least 8 hours, or cover and chill up to 2 days.
5. Pull straws from container or, if you’re using a carton, simply tear the carton away from the filled straws. Pull straws apart. Run hot tap water for about 2 seconds over 3 to 4 straws at a time. Starting at the empty ends, push worms from straws with rolling pin, or use your fingers.

6. Lay worms on waxed paper-lined baking sheets. Cover and chill until ready to use, at least 1 hour or up to 2 days. Worms will hold at room temperature for about 2 hours.

 Witch hats....
These have been floating around on Pinterest for awhile.
1.Take fudge cookies and turn them upside down.
2.Mix white icing with a few drops of yellow food coloring until you get the desired color and dot in the middle of the cookie.
3.Stick on a Hershey's kiss.
You can make these more detailed if you wish. It's a good jumping off place.

Earwax swabs:
Okay, these were a PAIN but worth it! The original recipe call for the tiny marshmallows to be dipped in melted butterscotch. If you want ease, go that route. But, if you want realistic and  a pain in the arse, go with melted caramel instead.
1.Take sucker sticks (I found ours on the cake decorating isle at Wal-Mart), and stick mini marshmallows on the end.
2.Dip them in the melted whatever-you-choose-to-use and let set on wax paper.
Do not refrigerate.
The kids not only were grossed out by the earwax, but since we used the caramel, they had to pull apart the "wax". They were thoroughly disgusted and it was awesome!


I didn't make these for the scouts, but rather a family function. I just thought I would throw them in.
I melted marshmallows and butter and then dipped the apples in the mixture. Let set in the fridge for 15 minues.
Next, melt chocolate in the microwave.
Dip the apple in the chocolate and then directly into graham cracker crumbs. Refrigerate.


So, of course for the ACTUAL day of Halloween, I didn't get nearly as many pictures as I would have liked because, hey, I can't do everything! We went to our town's annual Scare-on-the-Square. There wasn't nearly as many people handing out candy this year, but, there was a pony with wings, so who cares about candy?!
My little Power Ranger and Pirate. Sofia wouldn't keep any accessories on, so it's hard to tell what she was supposed to be.


Papaw and Sofie

Power Ranger Sawyer

I hope you guys had lots of fun in October!
Til' next time-
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment