Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Camo and Class... Two Reasons Why I love Living in the South

I could tell you about 2 million reasons why I love living in the South, but today I figured I would share a story about two reasons in particular.

Yesterday morning my sister, brother-in-law, and mom were headed to Fayetteville for an appointment with my mom's doctor.

It was 6 in the morning and I wasn't feeling my usual perky self. (Yes, I'm a morning person. Everyone in my house hates me for it.) I was tired and worried about the appointment.

We had to stop into a gas station in Alpena (one of the smaller towns that surrounds our small town.) I make it a habit to not go into gas stations by myself when it's dark outside. I never used to worry about it. After all, our town only has about 12,000 people and I think Alpena has something like 600. But it makes Josh uncomfortable, so I've made it a habit not to, so he doesn't worry.

I go to head in and there are two rough looking guys in camo headed to the front door at the same time as me. But you know what? People around here have manners, so I kind of expected them to hold the door open for me. (Entitled Southern Belle here!) And they did not disappoint! One held one door and the other held the other door, so not only did I feel like a lady, but I had (in my head) a grand entrance. (I had the Gone With the Wind music playing in my head and everything. Ridiculous.)

I get inside and get in line behind yet another guy in  camo who was talking on his cell phone. He didn't notice that I had come in. This is the conversation that followed:

Camo guy #1 with cell phone speaking to camo guy #2: Hey, ____! Did you know that your stupid son is in jail again?!

Camo #2: Yeeep. I read it in tha paper. I dunno what I'm gonna do with that boy.

Camo #1: When's he gonna learn? That stupid son of a b****!

Camo guy #2: Hey, ___ We gotta a lady here!

Lady (who I assume is a regular): ____, You hush it, son! Bein' all reckless with that there sailor mouth!

Camo #1: *turns to me* Oh ma'am! I'm so sorry! I didn't know you were here! Please forgive me! I swear I'm a gentleman.

Me: No worries, sir. My husband's in the military.... I've heard worse. It's fine, really!

Camo #1: *shakes my hand* Please tell your husband I apologize for my behavior and tell him thank you for serving.

Y'all, I couldn't stop giggling! He was so flustered! The second camo guy was giggling at me giggling. It was a ridiculous giggle fest.

Okay, so my point is, no matter how rough the men around here can look sometimes, they have manners. It was a pleasant surprise and absolutely made my morning! When you see someone you aren't sure of, show them those manners we're instilled with and give them a chance to show you who they truly are.

I like to make lessons out of everything that I experience in a day. This by far was the lesson of:

NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY IT'S COVER

Because you might miss out on some really great people or experiences.



-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment