Saturday, August 3, 2013

Why I'm excited for back-to-school: It's not why you think.

*WARNING: Soapbox session about to commence*

I haven't much thought about what it means when parents say "I'm exhausted! I'm ready for school to start back!"..  Until recently when I had a friend bring it up on Facebook. It just never crossed my mind as an issue. It was something that I heard regularly growing up, so it was just something parents said, right?

Why are parents so excited for school to go back in session? 
Usually the most popular answer is because they're tired and are ready for a break. 

What does that say to your child who overhears it?
"Mom/ Dad can't wait for me to get out of their hair. Am I a burden?"

Most likely they aren't reading into it that consciously. However, some might, and there is that implication behind it. 
You can't really take that statement any other way. 

We as parents made a conscious decision to have our children and raise them. 
Instantly that means we made the decision to make them feel special, important, wanted. If you feel they are a burden, remember, you chose this to be a "burden" you wanted. 

I absolutely have days where I'm like, "I'm so ready for bedtime. I need a reset. Tomorrow will be better." 

See, that's completely different from saying, "I can't handle this much time with my kid and I'm ready to send them off to a public babysitter." 

Okay, okay, that's a bit harsh. But do you see my point?

Like I said, I had never payed attention nor saw it from that perspective until recently. 

No, not all parents are maliciously thinking this. 

I know some who are. Seriously. 

So here are my reasons for why I'M glad my kids are heading back to school. 

1) They get to see old friends and make new ones. 
They certainly don't get to do much of that here with their parents. 

2) They'll have wonderful, influential teachers. 
I wouldn't have thought about this before, but Sawyer's teachers last year changed my mind. 
They will always be his first teachers and I couldn't be happier that they are his first memories of school. 

3) I get one-on-one time with Sofia. 
During the summer I get to spend a lot of quality time with the kids. Before Sawyer went into preschool, I had a lot of special time with just him. We danced, learned, and made memories of just us. It was nice. I'll get to do that with Sofia now. 

4) Those "I missed you" after school hugs are the best. I don't get those in the summer. 

5) I get to hear stories from school. 
There is something about my child sharing stories without me asking that warms my heart. 

6) "Mom! Guess what I learned today!"
He learns things at school that I never would have thought to teach him... And he loves to share. 

7) I get to shop!
Clothes, shoes, backpacks, oh my!
It's neat to see how Sawyer's personality and tastes change from one year to the next. 

8) I love seeing Sawyer become more independent every year. 
He's pretty fearless, but there's always apprehension on a parents part when you just go and drop them off all day without you. 
Seeing him just charge ahead reassures me we're doing something right. 


I'm a little misty-eyed right now, so I'll wrap this post up. 
Our school is back in session on the 19th so we're going to soak up the rest of Summer as much as possible. 

What are some of your favorite back-to-school moment?

No comments:

Post a Comment