Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Year of Pinterest #3- Chalkboard Key Holder

First of all, this project was inspired by many pins, so I couldn't 'pin' down one particular pin. 

See what I did there?

Also, this project was done at night, so the lighting on the pictures is very poor. 

Sorry!

Anyways, we've had the same key holder since we got married. It's painted hunter green (I thought that color was amazing back then.) Well, now it really, really doesn't match our color scheme... Or possibly any color scheme anywhere. 

So I kind of threw together a Frankenstein project and it goes something like this:

First, I found an empty picture frame with cardboard backing ( it needs to have plenty of wood at the bottom to be able to insert eye hooks.) I removed the glass because I want to change the message on mine frequently, but you don't have to. My picture frame was already the color I wanted, so I didn't have to paint it. 

Then I found some eye hooks. Mine were already white, so I didn't have to paint. 

See, this project was meant to happen. 



Once you've removed the cardboard from the picture frame, pull out your trusty Duck brand chalkboard contact paper and cut out the size of your backing. 

At our Wal-Mart, it was with the shelf liners in the home goods department. 
I would show you the picture, but these pictures really sucked. 

After the contact paper is cut,peel the   backing off and place the contact paper on the cardboard. 


Knees! I didn't crop out my knees! 
*sigh* Oh well. 

Push the contact paper covered cardboard back into the frame, and secure it. 

Then have your lovely husband drill holes and place eye hooks on the bottom of your frame. 


Then....



You get this! Woo hoo!

Good luck!





1 comment: