Monday, February 10, 2014

Year of Pinterest #2 - Button Tree

About two years ago I found a pin on Pinterest of a pretty tree with button leaves. 

Unfortunately, there was no website associated with this pin, so it sat on one of my boards, longing to be created. 

Today I grew a pair and made my button tree. 

I'm pretty crafty, I must admit, however, as far as painting and drawing, I skipped out on that gene pool. 

My mom is an amazing artist, but my drawings look like a 1st grader's art piece at best. So, taking a stab at this free-handed was terrifying. (I don't like to fail.)

First, I grabbed a pencil, eraser, sharpie, and a canvass. 


I traced out my tree (very timidly and lightly so I could erase mistakes easily) then I traced the outline with my sharpie. 

Next, I painted the tree black. Pretty simple, right? 


Touch up sloppy outlines with your sharpie. 

Also, neat tip (this one is my own) use a double up cupcake liner to hold your paint. Small, contained, and easy clean up. Just toss it when you're finished. 


After your paint dries, take some buttons (I chose white, but you can use any color, and the more variety of shapes and shades, the neater) and practice your placement. This is a good time to recruit your husband and children. It's a lot neater when you can look at your finished product an know everyone had a hand in it. 


Once you're happy with your button placement, start the tedious gluing process. I just used Elmer's glue. 



Lay on a flat surface to dry for about an hour, then...

TA-DA!


You have your finished product!

I would love to see your end product if you tried this pin out! Hopefully your tree trunk will be less wibbly-wobbly than mine!





No comments:

Post a Comment