Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Dear Sawyer : The Truth About Santa




My dear Sawyer,

I knew this day would come sooner rather than later for you.
You've always been a seeker of truth, and I knew Santa would be on that list somewhere. 

Today I watched you struggle with the question "Is Santa real."

After much thought, I'm ready to tell you what my mom told me when I finally asked the same question many years ago.  Through tears she told me, "Santa is very real. He lives in our hearts as kindness, joy, giving, unity, and love. As long as you believe in those things, Santa will always be real."

You see, for the last six Christmas eves, it was your dad and I who gladly wrapped your presents and ate the cookies you so thoughtfully left for us. It was the perfect end to our night and we always have looked forward to it. 

My parents did the same for me and some day you will do the same for your children. Someday you will have the same talk that we're having now. It will probably make your heart hurt a little, because you will realize that your kids will be growing up. I know this because this is how my heart feels right now. But it's a good hurt, I promise. It means you're on the right path.

Now that you know our secret, we must make sure that it stays just that... a secret. We want the magic to remain for younger kids who can't quite grasp who Santa really is. I know we can trust you. 

When your dad was young, he didn't get to celebrate Christmas like you and I did. He didn't understand the magic of this time of year... that is until your first Christmas. Watching you through the years making Santa cookies and reindeer food, writing and burning your magic Santa letters, and the excitement you and your sister have has changed him. He has a twinkle in his eye now that wasn't there before you. I know you're ready to know the truth about Santa, because you already have the Christmas magic in your heart. 

For years I thought we were making magic for you, but oh, sweet boy, it's so clear to me now. You brought the magic to us. 

Thank you forever for that. 

We love you. 

Love, Mom and Dad



No comments:

Post a Comment