Friday, May 10, 2013

Homemade Butter Tutorial

I had always thought that it was going to take shaking a mason jar of cream for thirty minutes or Little House on the Prairie garb with a butter churn to make my own butter, but I was oh so wrong.

I was scrolling through one of my favorite blogs (The Virtuous Wife) and she had a brilliant way to make butter and buttermilk!
The cost of the heavy cream was the same amount as the store bought butter, so I thought I really didn't have a good reason to actually make my own butter, but you also get buttermilk out of it.
It's kind of a wham-bam-thank-you-ma'm things. 
You get to have fun making butter AND you get buttermilk for biscuits or making your own ranch dressing. 

All you need is:
Heavy cream (it doesn't matter how much)
Cheesecloth or kitchen towel
Mixer with a whisk




Pour your cream into your mixer and start it our on a slower setting

I put a towel over mine because cream WILL fly everywhere

It will start to thicken some, turn up your speed

You'll start to get a whipped cream consistency

It will become even more whipped-creamy

Don't stress, it's supposed to look this way!

You'll see that the butter and buttermilk will start separating. You can add salt at this point if you're making salted.

I know it's getting close because the buttermilk will start flying everywhere. Keep going.

Your butter is finished when most of it clumps together in your whisk. See the buttermilk in the bottom?

I like to slide my cloth under the whisk and over the bowl. Hold your cloth while you get the butter out of the whisk.

Once you've gathered your butter squeeze it over your bowl of buttermilk. Yes, it's messy. Then repeat with what butter is left in your buttermilk.

Butter!

The thing with homemade butter is that you don't have those nifty measurements that are on store-bought wrappers. I actually take a tablespoon and measure, then place in an ice tray. That way I know each cubicle has 1 tbsp of butter.  All it takes is 10 minutes! Sa-weet!             




 


No comments:

Post a Comment