Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Recipe: Potato Soup

I found this recipe on Food.com awhile ago. Potato soup was a staple in out house growing up. It's what I call poor man's soup. The recipe that my mom used when I was little left much to be desired, so I was hesitant when trying out this recipe.

However, since it calls for cream cheese instead of milk and cheese, it's so much more filling. I've given this recipe out to SO many people -- bachelors, college students, families who are large, families who are in a hurry, families who are on a tight budget -- and they've all loved it. I've decided to share in my potato soup wealth and pass this along on my blog as well.

Credit
 POTATO SOUP

4 Cups chicken broth (I use 4 cups water and 4 chicken bullion cubes because it's cheaper)

4 Cups peeled and cubed potatoes

1/4 cups minced onions

1/2 tsp seasoning salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 ground red pepper

1 package cream cheese cubed

1) Combine broth, onion, potatoes, and spices.

2) Boil on medium heat until potatoes are tender.

3) Smash a few potatoes to release the starches for thickening.

4)Reduce to low heat.

5) Add  cream cheese.

6) Heat, stirring often until cheese melts

Add shredded cheese, bacon bits for garnish

Serve with Italian bread or crackers and enjoy!

This is a frequent rotation in our menu planning. It's cheap and filling-- just like I like it!

Happy noshing!
Heather


No comments:

Post a Comment